Yay! No more nukes...

(Thanks for the title quote jB)

Yes, I do not have to undergo radioactive iodine ablation (RAI). The new guidelines (which I'd scrutinised on a hammock in Mexico) had me and my former multifocal carcinomas on the edge of knife and my endocrinologist and I discussed it carefully and decided to say no to nuking me. Thank you G for deconstructing the research jargon and everyone else who helped me make sense of the issue since my operation in September.

Besides the increased risks to other primary cancers and medical conditions (including leukaemia, brain cancer, dry mouth and even infertility) that it would have put me at, it would also have set off radioactive detectors at airports which, as other RAI recipients have shared, is not a pleasant experience and warrants a thorough checking and carrying letters from doctors with oneself as well as the hope that airport authorities will believe them.

No more doctors or hospitals (if I can help it). We now track and monitor and do some baseline tests and see what life holds.

I'm writing this from my friend Janki's guest room in Dubai en route to India for a short trip. I stopped here to see her and her family after missing out on her warmth and love for over 5 years now. We went to university together, she shared Orion with me in those halcyon days, and she's been both guru and friend in different parts of my life as we've both gone through our respective travails in life.

It's an interesting city. A constructed civilisation in every sense, and yet when Siddharth drove me on the dunes yesterday, and when we stopped at a camel farm and the owner invited us in to observe the regal beats, I couldn't help but touch the soul of something calmer and more enduring that lies beneath the ostentatious glitter and now stale glamour.

I fly on to India this afternoon for two weeks to visit the family.

I'm flying solo again... We are essentially born and die alone, and though we may share different journeys on this path that is life, we must also learn to make peace with walking parts of the way by ourselves. These have been 11 wonderful months. I could not have weathered the past year without G- the love, the patience, the quiet strength, humour and warmth. I owe G much, and while there is some sadness now, the relationship still endures, as does the love, just manifested differently in the future as something less than lovers, and more than just friends.

More as the days pass. Thanks for reading. Keep smiling, keep shining.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Faustian Bargain

Counting down to dusk...