Sights in the City


I promised a few pictures...


A bit disturbing today. I decided to take a walk through the old Crawford Market and it's surrounds. Here's the transcript of a chat I had a bit later with a friend.

TM: am a little shaken today- saw a group of street kids tearing a little puppy apart... we're breeding animals in this smokestack... how can the future every be bright?
Friend: oh, there's work to be done, all right. Makes me wonder if staying in the ivory tower and working toward a phd is the way i want to spend my twenties/prepare for a career and a life...
TM: the water will reach our feet sooner or later... the ivory tower does give perspective though that's hard to find if you're on the ground. I'm getting a bit tired of people telling me "you'll get used to it"- it's a danger to start getting indifferent about things that matter
Friend: yes, i don't really want to get "used to it"

A grounding, but is it a wake up call?

A heartening message from Renu though soon after... "A couple of weeks ago I saw a 10-12 year old girl, a ragged street kid, run across a road and dodge the traffic to pick up a puppy that had wandered into traffic. She scooped the pup up in her arms and hugging it closely she ran to the median."

There is hope yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Faustian Bargain

Counting down to dusk...