A watershed moment by the sea

(No pun intended in the title of this post)
Today has been somewhat of a watershed. I know why I came here... I realised it while half crying, making patterns in the sand while the sea licked my toes. I'm a child again. This is where I went to escape.

The sea was my friend. It came up to me when I walked to it, it comforted me, it made me feel power and servitude, it played with me when I was most alone, it was always there. It hid mysteries, it was never simple, it loved me unconditionally, it had taste, it had temper, it was an enigma...

It's disconcerting, because I've shed all my armour and defences that I've developed to cope over these past decades when I sat beside it today. I'm naked, bare, alive... That's why I'm scared, but it's also a chance to renew, and remember.

If a bird the size of my palm can make sense of it all as it feeds on the same shore that I sit on, why can't I?

David pointed out to me earlier today- we all came from the sea, every living thing made it's way from the oceans. If there is a source of life, it is the sea.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Faustian Bargain

Counting down to dusk...